- a hoe with a perforated blade for mixing mortar or plaster.
Origin of larry1
- Alfred,1870–1937, Austrian psychiatrist and psychologist.
- Cyrus,1863–1940, U.S. religious leader and Jewish scholar.
- Felix,1851–1933, U.S. educator, reformer, and writer.
- Kurt (Herbert),1905–77, U.S. orchestra conductor, born in Austria.
- Lawrence CecilLarry, 1914–2001, U.S. harmonica player.
- Mortimer (Jerome),1902–91, U.S. philosopher, educator, and author.
- Peter Hermann,1899–1990, U.S. orchestra conductor, born in Austria-Hungary.
Examples from the Web for larry
Contemporary Examples of larry
Larry Kramer, the renowned activist and playwright, was invited to talk after a last minute cancelation.The LGBT Center That Changed Our Lives
December 22, 2014
And for Larry Flynt, this might be a monumental opportunity to stick it to the dictator the best way he knows how.Kim Jong Un, Avert Your Eyes: Sony’s ‘The Interview’ Gets the Porn Parody Treatment
December 20, 2014
Then, a couple of years later, I learned that Scott [Alexander] and Larry [Karaszewski] had written a script.Tim Burton Talks ‘Big Eyes,’ His Taste For the Macabre, and the ‘Beetlejuice’ Sequel
December 17, 2014
Lincoln Davis and John Barrow and Larry Kissell and Travis Childers and on and on it went.Southern Dems Won’t Rise Again
December 5, 2014
Scholar-activists Larry Lessig and Zephyr Teachout have recently been working to revive it.Undo Citizens United? We’d Only Scratch the Surface
November 12, 2014
Historical Examples of larry
Larry la Roche had been a counterfeiter and was a consummate penman.
There was no one like Larry for facing a crowd and cowing it.
Then, when supper was half over, Larry la Roche came in to camp.
"I had no gun," said Larry, without raising his eyes from the fire.
"You're all wrong, chief," said Larry la Roche, and he grinned at Andrew.
- happy as Larry or as happy as Larry British, Australian and NZ informal extremely happy
Word Origin for Larry
- (German ˈaːdlər) Alfred (ˈalfreːt). 1870–1937, Austrian psychiatrist, noted for his descriptions of overcompensation and inferiority feelings
- (ˈædlə) Larry, full name Lawrence Cecil Adler. 1914–2001, US harmonica player
Word Origin and History for larry
masc. proper name, often a familiar form of Lawrence.
Adler(äd′lər, ăd′-)Alfred 1870-1937
- Austrian psychiatrist. He rejected Sigmund Freud's emphasis on sexuality and theorized that neurotic behavior is an overcompensation for feelings of inferiority.