Words nearby legging
OTHER WORDS FROM leggingleg·ginged, adjective
Definition for legging (2 of 2)
- one of the series of straight runs that make up the zigzag course of a sailing ship.
- one straight or nearly straight part of a multiple-sided course in a sailing race.
- one of a designated number of contests that must be successfully completed in order to determine the winner.
- one of the stretches or sections of a relay race.
- the part of the field to the left of and behind the batsman as he faces the bowler or to the right of and behind him if he is left-handed.
- the fielder playing this part of the field.
- the position of this fielder.
verb (used with object), legged, leg·ging.
Origin of leg
OTHER WORDS FROM legleg·less, adjectiveleg·like, adjective
Examples from the Web for legging
My legs are stiff, and my legging has frozen fast 26 to my overshoe; I remember that.The Singing Mouse Stories|Emerson Hough
I hadn't a rap in my pockets, but it was very near a 'legging' for me.Six Years in the Prisons of England|A Merchant - Anonymous
Instead, that small boy was legging it westward as fast as he could go.A Son of the City|Herman Gastrell Seely
Another dog gets his flank slit up, a man has his legging and trouser torn off his leg, and then the giant brute is conquered.Brighter Britain! (Volume 1 of 2)|William Delisle Hay
The little Providence was legging it briskly over the wind-tossed waters.The Story of John Paul Jones|Chelsea Curtis Fraser
British Dictionary definitions for legging
- either of the two lower limbs, including the bones and fleshy covering of the femur, tibia, fibula, and patella
- (as modifier)leg guard; leg rest Related adjective: crural
- the distance travelled without tacking
- (in yacht racing) the course between any two marks
- the side of the field to the left of a right-handed batsman as he faces the bowler
- (as modifier)a leg slip; leg stump
- to help someone to climb an obstacle by pushing upwards
- to help someone to advance
- to hurry up: usually used in the imperative
- to dance
verb legs, legging or legged
Derived forms of legleglike, adjective
Word Origin for leg
Medical definitions for legging
Idioms and Phrases with legging
In addition to the idiom beginning with leg
- leg up, a
- arm and a leg
- break a leg
- on one's last legs
- pull someone's leg
- shake a leg
- stretch one's legs
- tail between one's legs
- without a leg to stand on