- of, relating to, or causing death; deadly; fatal: a lethal weapon; a lethal dose.
- made or carried out to cause death: a lethal chamber; a lethal attack.
- causing great harm or destruction: The disclosures were lethal to his candidacy.
Origin of lethal
Synonyms for lethal
Examples from the Web for lethally
Contemporary Examples of lethally
- able to cause or causing death
- of or suggestive of death
Word Origin for lethal
1580s, from Late Latin lethalis, alteration of Latin letalis "deadly, fatal," from letum "death," of uncertain origin. Form altered in Late Latin by association with lethe hydor "water of oblivion" in Hades in Greek mythology, from Greek lethe "forgetfulness."
- Capable of causing death.
- Of, relating to, or causing death.