- a city in S Quebec, in E Canada, across from Montreal, on the St. Lawrence.
- a son of Jacob and Leah. Gen. 29:34.
- one of the 12 tribes of Israel, traditionally descended from him.
- original name of Matthew(def 1).
- a Levite.
- a male given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “a joining.”
- Car·lo [kahr-law] /ˈkɑr lɔ/, 1902–75, Italian painter and writer.
- a brand of clothing, especially blue jeans.
Examples from the Web for levis
Contemporary Examples of levis
When we met, she was barefoot and dressed in ripped Levis and a T-shirt.How Research into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Turned into an Ugly Fight
July 23, 2012
Historical Examples of levis
Faith Levis couldn't go—at which, I think, we were all secretly glad.Beauty and The Beast, and Tales From Home
Levis, my dear, you are certainly the best of fathers, as well as of husbands.Elsie and Her Namesakes
Wont you turn to the chapter and read it aloud to us, brother Levis?Elsie at Ion
He went with Levis to Lake Champlain to see with his own eyes what was going on there.
He and Levis worked harmoniously, for Uvis was conciliatory and tactful.
- trademark jeans, usually blue and made of denim
- Old Testament
- the third son of Jacob and Leah and the ancestor of the tribe of Levi (Genesis 29:34)
- the priestly tribe descended from this patriarch (Numbers 18:21–24)
- New Testament another name for Matthew the apostle
- Carlo. 1902–75, Italian physician, painter, and writer. Best known for his novel Christ Stopped at Eboli (1947), his other works include The Watch (1952) and Words are Stones (1958)
- Primo (ˈpriːməʊ). 1919–87, Italian novelist. His book If This is a Man (1947) relates his experiences in Auschwitz. Other books include The Periodic Table (1956) and The Drowned and the Saved (1988), published after his suicide
- Judaism a descendant of the tribe of Levi who has certain privileges in the synagogue service
1926, American English, originally Levi's, from Levi Strauss and Company, original manufacturer. Strauss' innovation was the copper rivets at strain points. A cowboy's accessory, adopted as a fashion c.1940s.
masc. proper name, biblical son of Jacob by Leah, from Hebrew lewi, literally "joining, pledging, attached," from stem of lawah "he joined."