[adjective lil-ee-hwahyt, -wahyt; noun lil-ee-hwahyt, -wahyt]
- white as a lily: soft lily-white skin.
- pure; untouched by corruption or imperfection; above reproach: He tries to pass himself off as some sort of lily-white saint, but he's not.
- designating or pertaining to any faction, organization, or group opposing the inclusion of blacks, especially in political or social life.
- a member of a lily-white organization, especially a member of a former faction of the Republican Party in the South opposed to the inclusion of blacks in the party or in political life in general.
Origin of lily-white
1275–1325; Middle English lylie-whyt
SynonymsSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for lily-white
But only recently did this dispute spread to the lily-white slopes of a Montana ski resort.A Racist’s Crazy Ski Resort Smackdown
October 18, 2014
Without pandering, Christie made real progress in appealing to voters outside the lily-white confines of the conservative base.Christie’s Reelection Triumph Is a Revenge of the RINOs
November 6, 2013
And then, brother, the faces of the beaux are of such a lily-white hue!The Contrast
Her face, that had been lily-white, was flushed from brow to neck.A Little Girl in Old Salem
Amanda Minnie Douglas
Should the people be allowed to think that he was lily-white?Hail to the Chief
Gordon Randall Garrett
They went on swimming about after their own lily-white mother.
I have always told my friends that you were a chilling, lily-white flake of snow.Marie Tarnowska
- of a pure whitelily-white skin
- informal pure; irreproachable
- US informal
- discriminating against Black peoplea lily-white club
- racially segregated
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lily-white
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper