- See under Limburg.
- a medieval duchy in W Europe: now divided into a province in the SE Netherlands (Limburg) and a province in NE Belgium (Limbourg).
Examples from the Web for limbourg
Historical Examples of limbourg
In 1774, journeying from Spa to Limbourg, I was attacked by eight banditti.The Life and Adventures of Baron Trenck
Dost thou know,” said he, “how they call the men of Weert in Limbourg?The Legend of Ulenspiegel, Vol. II (of 2)
Charles de Coster
At the other, the Limbourg, the cooking is German in character and flavour.The Gourmet's Guide to Europe
Presently the Emperor deprived him of it in favour of the rival house of Limbourg .The Story of Brussels
Some of the new coal mines of the Limbourg province have been closed on the eve of the raids.Through the Iron Bars
- the French name for Limburg (def. 3)
- a medieval duchy of W Europe: divided between the Netherlands and Belgium in 1839
- a province of the SE Netherlands: contains a coalfield and industrial centres. Capital: Maastricht. Pop: 1 142 000 (2003 est). Area: 2253 sq km (809 sq miles)
- a province of NE Belgium: contains the industrial regions of the Kempen coalfield. Capital: Hasselt. Pop: 805 786 (2004 est). Area: 2422 sq km (935 sq miles)French name: Limbourg
- de. active ?1400–?1416, a Dutch family of manuscript illuminators. The three brothers Pol, Herman, and Jehanequin are best known for illustrating the Très Riches Heures du Duc de Berry, one of the finest examples of the International Gothic style