- a port in N Austria, on the Danube River.
- a province in N Austria. 4631 sq. mi. (11,995 sq. km). Capital: Linz.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for linz
Then, that I should be too far from the frontier; better to go on to Linz and take my chance there.Villa Rubein and Other Stories
Mistelbauer had been a poor peasant boy of Helmannsd by Linz.The Invention of Lithography
What symphony it was which Mozart composed at Linz cannot be exactly ascertained.Life Of Mozart, Vol. 2 (of 3)
But the autograph bears the inscription: Linz in October, 1812.The Life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Volume II (of 3)
Alexander Wheelock Thayer
Linz is believed to stand on the site of the Roman station Lentia.
- a port in N Austria, capital of Upper Austria, on the River Danube: cultural centre; steelworks. Pop: 183 504 (2001)Latin name: Lentia (ˈlɛntɪə, ˈlɛnsɪə)
- Land Information New Zealand; the official body responsible for land registration, mapping, and surveying in New Zealand
- a state of N Austria: first divided from Lower Austria in 1251. Capital: Linz. Pop: 1 387 086 (2003 est). Area: 11 978 sq km (4625 sq miles)German name: Oberösterreich
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012