- a pending suit listed on the court docket.
- the rule placing property involved in litigation under the court's jurisdiction.
- the principle that the filing of a suit constitutes notice of the claim asserted.
Origin of lis pendens
From the Latin word līs pendēns
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a suit pending in a court that concerns the title to land
- a notice filed to warn interested persons of such a suit
Word Origin for lis pendens
Latin: pending lawsuit
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012