- (loosely) petrology.
- the physical characteristics of a rock or stratigraphic unit.
- Medicine/Medical. the study of the formation, pathology, and treatment of stones in the human body.
Origin of lithology
Examples from the Web for lithology
Historical Examples of lithology
The second year's work with lithology is carried on largely in the same way as with mineralogy.
It is nearly impossible to provide so abundantly, however, as for mineralogy and lithology.
His observations on the lithology of the deposits accumulated beneath the sea were of special interest and importance.
We might say that a 'young lady, eminent for great skill in lithology, famed as the discoverer,' etc.Erema
R. D. Blackmore
Stone, as in lithology, the branch of medical science, relating to calculi or concretions.Surgery, with Special Reference to Podiatry
- the physical characteristics of a rock, including colour, composition, and texture
- the study of rocks
- The scientific study and description of rocks, especially at the macroscopic level, in terms of their color, texture, and composition.
- The gross physical character of a rock or rock formation.