- full or suggestive of life or vital energy; active, vigorous, or brisk: a lively discussion.
- animated, spirited, vivacious, or sprightly: a lively tune; a lively wit.
- eventful, stirring, or exciting: The opposition gave us a lively time.
- bustling with activity; astir: The marketplace was lively with vendors.
- strong, keen, or distinct; vivid: a lively recollection.
- striking, telling, or effective, as an expression or instance.
- vivid or bright, as color or light: a lively pink.
- sparkling, as wines.
- fresh or invigorating, as air: a lively breeze.
- rebounding quickly; springing back; resilient: a lively tennis ball.
- riding the sea buoyantly, as a ship.
- with briskness, vigor, or animation; briskly: to step lively.
Origin of lively
Synonyms for livelySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Antonyms for lively
Related Words for livelinessbrio, vigor, energy, vitality, activity, action, spiritedness, briskness, lilt, effervescence, sprightliness, alacrity, pep, vim, sparkle, animation, esprit, vivacity, tittup
Examples from the Web for liveliness
Contemporary Examples of liveliness
Historical Examples of liveliness
"You 'tend to your own troubles," returned the other, with an imitation of liveliness.The Gentleman From Indiana
Of these, the Comte d'Artois was the only one who, from youth and liveliness of character, thoroughly sympathised with his sister.The Secret Memoirs of Louis XV./XVI, Complete
Madame du Hausset, an "Unknown English Girl" and the Princess Lamballe
"You come just in time to give him a scolding," he said, with an affectation of liveliness.The Downfall
Yet there is little of the liveliness of a game in their mode of treating the subject.Laws
Both were proofs that Erasmus had lost nothing of his liveliness and wit.Erasmus and the Age of Reformation
- full of life or vigour
- vivacious or animated, esp when in company
- busy; eventful
- characterized by mental or emotional intensity; vivid
- having a striking effect on the mind or senses
- refreshinga lively breeze
- springy or bouncy or encouraging springinessa lively ball
- (of a boat or ship) readily responsive to the helm
- in a brisk mannerstep lively
- look lively (interjection) make haste