- a small compartment or chamber, as the pollen-containing cavity within an anther.
Origin of locule
1885–90; < French < Latin loculus; see loculus
Also called loculus.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- botany any of the chambers of an ovary or anther
- biology any small cavity or chamber
C19: New Latin, from Latin: compartment, from locus place
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A small cavity or compartment within an organ or a part of an animal.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A small cavity or compartment within an organ or part of an animal or plant, as any of the cavities within a plant ovary in which the ovules develop.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.