noun, plural hors·es, (especially collectively) horse.
verb (used with object), horsed, hors·ing.
- to make (a person) the target of boisterous jokes.
- to perform boisterously, as a part or a scene in a play.
- to caulk (a vessel) with a hammer.
- to work or haze (a sailor) cruelly or unfairly.
verb (used without object), horsed, hors·ing.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Idioms for horse
Origin of horse
OTHER WORDS FROM horsehorse·less, adjectivehorse·like, adjectiveun·der·horse, verb (used with object), un·der·horsed, un·der·hors·ing.
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH horsehoarse horse
Words nearby horse
British Dictionary definitions for look a gift horse in the mouth
- a horse (Equus caballus) that has become feral
- another name for Przewalski's horse
- any other member of the family Equidae, such as the zebra or ass
- (as modifier)the horse family
Derived forms of horsehorseless, adjectivehorselike, adjective
Word Origin for horse
Idioms and Phrases with look a gift horse in the mouth (1 of 2)
Be critical or suspicious of something received at no cost. For example, Dad's old car is full of dents, but we shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. This term, generally expressed as a cautionary proverb (Don't look a gift horse in the mouth), has been traced to the writings of the 4th-century cleric, St. Jerome, and has appeared in English since about 1500. It alludes to determining the age of a horse by looking at its teeth.
Idioms and Phrases with look a gift horse in the mouth (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with horse
- horse around
- horse of a different color, a
- horse sense
- horse trading
- back the wrong horse
- beat a dead horse
- cart before the horse
- change horses in midstream
- charley horse
- dark horse
- eat like a bird (horse)
- from the horse's mouth
- hold one's horses
- if wishes were horses
- look a gift horse in the mouth
- on one's high horse
- war horse
- wild horses couldn't drag
- work like a beaver (horse)
- you can lead a horse to water