See more synonyms for lordosis on Thesaurus.com
- Pathology. an abnormal forward curvature of the spine in the lumbar region, resulting in a swaybacked posture.Compare kyphosis, scoliosis.
- a posture assumed by some female mammals during mating, in which the back arches downward.
Origin of lordosis
1695–1705;Related formslor·dot·ic [lawr-dot-ik] /lɔrˈdɒt ɪk/, adjective
< New Latin
< Greek lórdōsis
literally, a bending back, equivalent to lord(ós
) bent backwards + -ōsis -osis
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for lordotic
Derived Formslordotic (lɔːˈdɒtɪk), adjective
- pathol forward curvature of the lumbar spine: congenital or caused by trauma or diseaseNontechnical name: hollow-back Compare kyphosis, scoliosis
- zoology concave arching of the back occurring in many female animals during sexual stimulation
C18: New Latin from Greek lordōsis, from lordos bent backwards
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for lordotic
curvature of the spine, 1704, Modern Latin, from Greek lordosis, from lordos "bent backwards." Related: Lordotic.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
Related formslor•dot′ic (-dŏt′ĭk) adj.
- An abnormal forward curvature of the spine in the lumbar region.hollow back saddle back
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.