- Lú·cio [loo-syoo] /ˈlu syu/, 1902–98, Brazilian architect, chief designer of Brasilia.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the technical name for rib 1 (def. 1)
- a riblike part, such as the midrib of a plant leaf
Word Origin for costa
C19: from Latin: rib, side, wall
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Spanish costa "coast," from same Latin source as English coast (n.). Used in Britain from 1960s in jocular formations (costa geriatrica, costa del crime, etc.) in imitation of the names of Spanish tourist destinations.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- A rodlike internal supporting organelle that runs along the base of the undulating membrane of certain flagellate parasites.basal rod
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- A rib or a riblike part, such as the midrib of a leaf or a thickened anterior vein or margin of an insect's wing.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.