- the Wolf, a southern constellation between Centaurus and Norma.
Origin of Lupus
Examples from the Web for lupi
Both speak of the "lupi," the spies who reported students using the vernacular or visiting the kitchen.Life in the Medieval University
Robert S. Rait, M.A.
"Let me send to Lupi's for a tuner, dear," she entreated, as I produced fork and key from the depths of a show work-basket.
- any of various ulcerative skin diseases
- a constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Centaurus and Ara
Word Origin and History for lupi
late 14c., used of several diseases that cause ulcerations of the skin, from Medieval Latin lupus, from Latin lupus "wolf" (see wolf (n.)), apparently because it "devours" the affected part.
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Any of various chronic skin conditions characterized by ulcerative lesions that spread over the body. No longer in scientific use.
- See systemic lupus erythematosus.
An autoimmune disease that tends to strike women more frequently than men. The disease attacks the body's connective tissues.