- a member of the ethnic group, of the Finno-Ugric stock, that forms the predominant element of the population of Hungary.
- Hungarian(def 3).
- of or relating to the Magyars or their language; Hungarian.
Examples from the Web for magyar
Historical Examples of magyar
The Hungarian, or Magyar, regiments were probably in the majority.
First Fanny wrote to her parents in German, on the last page in Magyar to me.
But the duty to be paid on good Magyar wine beyond the Lajta71 was terrible.
They would not surrender the Magyar priority in this respect either.
She began her invective with the following Magyar "quousque tandem!"
- plural -yars a member of the predominant ethnic group of Hungary, also found in NW Siberia
- the Hungarian language
- of or relating to the Magyars or their language
- sewing of or relating to a style of sleeve cut in one piece with the bodice
Word Origin and History for magyar
"a Hungarian," 1797, the people's native name. As an adjective by 1828.