- a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
- an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
- Botany. a staminate plant.
- of, relating to, or being a male animal or plant.
- pertaining to or characteristic of a male person; masculine: a male voice.
- composed of males: a male choir.
- designating or pertaining to a plant or its reproductive structure producing or containing microspores.
- (of seed plants) staminate.
- Machinery. made to fit into a corresponding open or recessed part: a male plug.Compare female(def 8).
Origin of male
Synonyms for male
Antonyms for male
Related Words for malestboy, guy, father, macho, sir, grandfather, gentleman, brother, fellow, son, husband, gent, Mr., he, manlike, manly, paternal, potent, virile, manful
- of, relating to, or designating the sex producing gametes (spermatozoa) that can fertilize female gametes (ova)
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a man; masculine
- for or composed of men or boysa male choir
- (of gametes) capable of fertilizing an egg cell in sexual reproduction
- (of reproductive organs, such as a testis or stamen) capable of producing male gametes
- (of flowers) bearing stamens but lacking a functional pistil
- electronics mechanical engineering having a projecting part or parts that fit into a female counterparta male plug
- a male person, animal, or plant
Word Origin for male
- the capital of the Republic of Maldives, on Malé Island in the centre of the island group. Pop: 90 000 (2005 est)
late 14c., from Old French male, masle "male, masculine; a male" (see male (n.)). Mechanical sense of "part of an instrument that penetrates another part" is from 1660s.
late 14c., "male human being; male fish or land animal," from Old French masle (adj.) "masculine, male, adult," also used as a noun (12c., Modern French mâle), from Latin masculus "masculine, male, worthy of a man" (cf. Provençal mascle, Spanish macho, Italian maschio), diminutive of mas (genitive maris) "male person or animal, male."
- Of, relating to, or designating the sex that has organs to produce spermatozoa for fertilizing ova.
- A member of the sex that begets young by fertilizing ova.
- A man or boy.
- In organisms that reproduce sexually, being the gamete that is smaller and more motile than the other corresponding gamete of the same species (the female gamete). The sperm cells of higher animals and plants are male gametes.
- Possessing or being a structure that produces only male gametes. The testicles of humans are male reproductive organs. Male flowers possess only stamens and no carpels.
- A male organism.