- a city in and the capital of Bahrain, on N Bahrain island.
- a sheikdom in the Persian Gulf, consisting of a group of islands: formerly a British protectorate; declared independent 1971. 232 sq. mi. (601 sq. km). Capital: Manama.
- the largest island in this group: oil fields. 213 sq. mi. (552 sq. km).
Examples from the Web for manama
Contemporary Examples of manama
Husain said the opposition had no qualms about the U.S. Navy being based in Manama.Bahrain Opposition No Pawn of Iran’s Mullahs, Shiite Leader Says
November 10, 2011
The Saudis' nightmare is a Shia republic in Manama that tilts towards Tehran and encourages Shia unrest in the Eastern province.
At our request the U.N. staged the weapons inspections of Saddam's Iraq from a headquarters in Manama.
Like most of what's gone on in Manama since Monday, it's been hard to predict where the day will go.Inside the Bahrain Revolt
February 19, 2011
There are reports floating around Manama of paramedics and aid responders who were beaten by 20 cops, by 50.Inside Bahrain's Bloody Revolt
February 17, 2011
Historical Examples of manama
Above all is Eugpamolak Manobo, also called Manama, who was the first cause and creator of all.
Surely,” said the people, “Manama is punishing us and we must go elsewhere to find food and a place to dwell in.
Finally Manama told the spirits to allow him to go, so they made a chain of the leaves of the karan grass and tied it to his legs.
The man refused to let them, and he wanted to go back home because he was afraid; so Manama said to let him go.
As regards their religion, Tighiama is the Creator, and Manama the governor of the world.The Inhabitants of the Philippines
Frederic H. Sawyer
- the capital of Bahrain, at the N end of Bahrain Island: transit port. Pop: 142 000 (2005 est)
- an independent sheikhdom on the Persian Gulf, consisting of several islands: under British protection until the declaration of independence in 1971. It has large oil reserves. Language: Arabic. Religion: Muslim. Currency: dinar. Capital: Manama. Pop: 1 281 332 (2013 est). Area: 678 sq km (262 sq miles)