[mahr-key-zuh; Italian mahr-ke-zah]
- an Italian noblewoman, equivalent in rank to a marquise.
- the wife or widow of a marchese.
Origin of marchesa
1790–1800; < Italian; feminine of marchese
[mahr-key-zey; Italian mahr-ke-ze]
- an Italian nobleman, equivalent in rank to a marquis.
Origin of marchese
From Italian, dating back to 1510–20; see origin at marquis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (in Italy) the wife or widow of a marchese; marchioness
- (in Italy) a nobleman ranking below a prince and above a count; marquis
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012