- a small, round sponge cake, usually with a circular indentation on top, for topping with fruit, whipped cream, etc., and served as an individual portion.
- Mary Janes, small bits of chocolate, candy, sugar, or the like, for sprinkling on ice cream; sprinkles.
- a brand of young girls' low-heeled shoe of patent leather having across the instep a single strap that fastens at the side.
- marijuana.Abbreviation: MJ
Also mar·y·jane [mair-ee-jeyn] /ˈmɛər iˌdʒeɪn/.
Origin of Mary Jane2
1925–30; translation of Mexican Spanish marijuana, by the popular assumption that it is a compound of Spanish María and Juana
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- US and Canadian a slang term for marijuana
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012