- max out,
- to reach a point at which no more improvement, profit, or benefit can occur; level off: In her last job she maxed out at $25,000 a year.
- to reach the limit of one's capacity, endurance, etc.: The sales department has maxed out and needs more personnel to call on new clients.
- to the max, to the greatest or furthest degree; totally: That book is disgusting to the max.
Origin of max
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- the most significant, highest, furthest, or greatest thing
- to the max to the ultimate extent
See also max out
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"to reach the maximum level," by 1986, colloquial, from maximize or related words. Related: Maxed; maxing.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper