noun, plural max·i·mums, max·i·ma [mak-suh-muh] /ˈmæk sə mə/.
- Also called relative maximum, local maximum. the value of a function at a certain point in its domain, which is greater than or equal to the values at all other points in the immediate vicinity of the point.Compare absolute maximum.
- the point in the domain at which a maximum occurs.
Origin of maximum
Related formsmax·i·mum·ly, adverbsub·max·i·mum, adjective
Examples from the Web for maximum
Tax evasion carries a maximum penalty of five years, and thus it seems likely that Grimm would be covered by the provision.
When these single-aisle models were introduced, the maximum seating averaged around 160 seats.Flying Coach Is the New Hell: How Airlines Engineer You Out of Room|Clive Irving|November 25, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It was thought essential to strike hard and fast with maximum force in order to achieve quick, decisive victory.Barbara Tuchman’s ‘The Guns of August’ Is Still WWI’s Peerless Chronicle|James A. Warren|September 29, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The jet is “redlined” at Mach 2, but structurally it can reach a maximum speed of Mach 2.25.
Bodenheimer, who is 71 and a father of 14 and grandfather of 100, faces a maximum sentence of 25 years.This 'Holy Guy'—and Grandfather of 100—Is Accused of Sexually Abusing a Student|Batya Ungar-Sargon|September 9, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Does it tend to help man towards the maximum development of all his faculties and capacities?Parallel Paths|Thomas William Rolleston
The maximum of expense, the minimum of benefit to the island, is all that has come of it.The English in the West Indies|James Anthony Froude
The salaries attached at present to our parish schools vary from a minimum of £25 to a maximum of about £34.Leading Articles on Various Subjects|Hugh Miller
Something above the price of a Stall to be the maximum charge for one person to hear entire Opera.
If the normal man lives constantly below his maximum, what shall we say of the nervous invalid?Outwitting Our Nerves|Josephine A. Jackson and Helen M. Salisbury
British Dictionary definitions for maximum
noun plural -mums or -ma (-mə)
- a value of a function that is greater than any neighbouring value
- a stationary point on a curve at which the tangent changes from a positive value on the left of this point to a negative value on the rightCompare minimum (def. 4)
- the largest number in a set
- the time at which the brightness of a variable star has its greatest value
- the magnitude of the star at that time