- of, pertaining to, characteristic of, or in the style of the Middle Ages: medieval architecture.Compare Middle Ages.
- Informal. extremely old-fashioned; primitive.
Origin of medieval
Examples from the Web for mediaeval
Historical Examples of mediaeval
It is odd how one gets callous to death, a mediaeval callousness.Ballads of a Bohemian
Robert W. Service
Henceforth all the mediaeval chalices were fashioned with a six-sided foot.English Villages
P. H. Ditchfield
What is meant by the "Middle Ages" or the "Mediaeval" period?Introductory American History
Henry Eldridge Bourne
Flowers, tears, applause—that has had its time; it's a mediaeval conception.Under Western Eyes
It is neither Asiatic nor mediaeval in its essential character.The Legacy of Greece
- a variant spelling of medieval
- of, relating to, or in the style of the Middle Ages
- informal old-fashioned; primitive
Word Origin for medieval
A descriptive term for people, objects, events, and institutions of the Middle Ages.