- disposed to or affected with melancholy; gloomy.
- of, relating to, or affected with melancholia.
Origin of melancholic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- relating to or suffering from melancholy or melancholia
- a person who suffers from melancholia
Word Origin and History for melancholically
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Affected with or being subject to melancholy.
- Of or relating to melancholia.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.