- change of color, especially that due to variation in the temperature of a body.
Origin of metachromatism
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of tissues and cells stained for microscopical examination) taking a colour different from that of the dye solution
- (of dyes) capable of staining tissues or cells a colour different from that of the dye solution
- of or relating to metachromatism
- a change in colour, esp when caused by a change in temperature
Word Origin for metachromatism
C19: from meta- + chromato- + -ism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Of or relating to metachromasia.
- Relating to the property of certain chemical substances to appear as different colors depending upon the wavelength of light under which they are viewed.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.