- Informal. to supply or amplify with one or more microphones; attach a microphone to: to mike a singer.
- Informal. to use or position a microphone: to mike properly when recording a singer.
- drop the mike, Informal. mic(def 2).
Origin of mike1
First recorded in 1925–30; by shortening and respelling
- loafing; idling.
- to loaf.
Origin of mike3
First recorded in 1815–25; origin uncertain
- to measure with a micrometer.
Origin of mike4
by shortening and respelling of micrometer1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for miked
Historical Examples of miked
- communications a code word for the letter m
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012