- Informal. to supply or amplify with one or more microphones; attach a microphone to: to mike a singer.
- Informal. to use or position a microphone: to mike properly when recording a singer.
- drop the mike, Informal. mic(def 2).
Origin of mike1
First recorded in 1925–30; by shortening and respelling
- loafing; idling.
- to loaf.
Origin of mike3
First recorded in 1815–25; origin uncertain
- to measure with a micrometer.
Origin of mike4
by shortening and respelling of micrometer1
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for miking
What are they miking all that row about—are they supposed to be torking, or what?
- communications a code word for the letter m