- the aggregate number of miles traveled over in a given time.
- length, extent, or distance in miles.
- the number of miles or the average distance that a vehicle can travel on a specified quantity of fuel: the car gets good mileage.
- wear, use, advantage, or profit: She won't get much more mileage out of this old coat.
- an allowance for traveling expenses at a fixed rate per mile: His mileage came to $90.
- a fixed charge per mile, as for railroad transportation.
- mileage ticket.
Origin of mileage
Examples from the Web for mileage
Contemporary Examples of mileage
Your mileage may vary, depending on your ideological priors.The Real Reasons New York has the Country’s Most Segregated Schools
Conor P. Williams
March 31, 2014
Plastic Jungle has worked out a pretty sweet deal with the United Airlines mileage program.What to Do With Unwanted Gift Cards
December 26, 2012
Look at the mileage and check out the vehicle—if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.Sandy Destroys Cars, Spurs Used- and New-Car Market
November 13, 2012
Your mileage may vary, of course: for a non-baker, I'd say that a food processor is hands down the most useful.What's the Most Indispensable Kitchen Machine?
October 26, 2012
A new Obama campaign ad accuses Romney of standing with Big Oil, from subsidies to renewable energy to mileage standards.Obama Ad Pins High Gas Prices on Romney, ‘Candidate of Big Oil’
April 5, 2012
Historical Examples of mileage
Notoriously, he observed, the mileage of members was scandalously small.
The mileage was small and, instead of elation, I felt discouragement.A Negro Explorer at the North Pole
Matthew A. Henson
Mileage's to get ye there an' take ye home again when term's over.The Calico Cat
Charles Miner Thompson
It was the mileage made on October 12th, 1492, that counted.Evening Round Up
William Crosbie Hunter
So he opened it, and leaned over to have a look at the odometer to check the mileage.Out Like a Light
Gordon Randall Garrett
- a distance expressed in miles
- the total number of miles that a motor vehicle has travelled
- allowance for travelling expenses, esp as a fixed rate per mile
- the number of miles a motor vehicle will travel on one gallon of fuel
- informal use, benefit, or service provided by somethingthis scheme has a lot of mileage left
- informal grounds, substance, or weightsome mileage in the objectors' arguments