- a city in and the capital of Byelorussia (Belarus), in the central part, on a tributary of the Berezina.
- Official name Belarus. Formerly White Russian Soviet Socialist Republic, Byelorussian Soviet Socialist Republic. a republic in E Europe, N of Ukraine: formerly a part of the Soviet Union. 80,154 sq. mi. (207,600 sq. km). Capital: Minsk.
- a region in the W part of former czarist Russia.
Examples from the Web for minsk
Contemporary Examples of minsk
“I really hope that a peaceful process will be initiated in Minsk on Friday,” Poroshenko said at a meeting in Kiev.Putin and Poroshenko Agree to… Think About a Ukraine Ceasefire
September 3, 2014
Le tout Minsk turns out in protest, catching the authorities by surprise.The Belarus Free Theatre’s Badass Dissident Artists Get the HBO Treatment
July 7, 2014
The Red Church in the centre of Minsk, once a symbol of Belarusian nationalism, is now a place of mourning.Forget Kim Jong Un—China’s New Favorite Dictator Is Belarus’s Aleksandr Lukashenko.
January 28, 2014
It lay on an imaginary map of Europe, somewhere between Minsk and Vienna.
Those of us whose grandparents did come from somewhere between Minsk and Vienna also lose out.
Historical Examples of minsk
A chain of other magazines had been formed from Smolensk to Minsk and Wilna.The Two Great Retreats of History
Minsk would have frightened them if they hadn't had the Dream.Americans All
Originated in Minsk, Russia, and received in this country about 1890.The Pears of New York
U. P. Hedrick
In the Minsk Soviet 123 votes against 79 decided against the advance.The Russian Turmoil
Anton Ivanovich Denikin
Minsk would have frightened them if they hadnt had the Dream.
- the capital of Belarus: an industrial city and educational and cultural centre, with a university (1921). Pop: 1 709 000 (2005 est)
- a variant spelling of Belarus