- the act of estimating or judging the nature or value of something or someone.
- an estimate of value, as for sale, assessment, or taxation; valuation.
- an estimate or considered opinion of the nature, quality, importance, etc: the critics' appraisal of pop art; an incorrect appraisal of public opinion.
Origin of appraisal
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an assessment or estimation of the worth, value, or quality of a person or thingSee also performance appraisal
- a valuation of property or goods
Word Origin and History for misappraisal
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
A formal evaluation of property by an expert, used to establish its market value.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.