- a considerable amount or quantity; many: Numbers flocked to the city to see the parade.
- metrical feet; verse.
- musical periods, measures, or groups of notes.
- numbers pool(def 1).
- Informal. the figures representing the actual cost, expense, profit, etc.: We won't make a decision until we see the numbers.
- Obsolete. arithmetic.
verb (used with object)
verb (used without object)
Words nearby number
Idioms for number
- according to standard procedure, rules, customs, etc.; orthodoxly; by the book: We're going to run things here by the numbers.
- together or in unison to a called-out count: calisthenics by the numbers.
- to undermine, defeat, humiliate, or criticize thoroughly: The committee really did a number on the mayor's proposal.
- to discuss or discourse about, especially in an entertaining way: She could do a number on anything from dentistry to the Bomb.
- to give a performance; perform: It's time for you to get on stage and do your number.
- Slang. to behave in a predictable or customary manner: Whenever I call, he does his number about being too busy to talk.
- one is (was, will be) in serious trouble.
- one is (was, will be) on the point of death: Convinced that her number was up anyway, she refused to see doctors.
Origin of number
SYNONYMS FOR number
OTHER WORDS FROM number
Examples from the Web for misnumbered
Some of the page numbers in the original are misnumbered, though the text itself is in the proper order.The Sceptical Chymist|Robert Boyle
This chapter (misnumbered 19) does not appear anywhere in the edition of 1577.Elizabethan England|William Harrison
These preliminary pages are misnumbered viii–xx, instead of vi–xviii.
Either the note was not included, or the reference was misnumbered.The War With Mexico, Volume I (of 2)|Justin H. Smith
After l. 4658, the lines in Morris's edition are misnumbered.Chaucer's Works, Volume 1 (of 7) -- Romaunt of the Rose; Minor Poems|Geoffrey Chaucer
British Dictionary definitions for misnumbered
- a self-contained piece of pop or jazz music
- a self-contained part of an opera or other musical score, esp one for the stage
verb (mainly tr)
Word Origin for number
Medical definitions for misnumbered
Scientific definitions for misnumbered
Cultural definitions for misnumbered
Idioms and Phrases with misnumbered
In addition to the idiom beginning with number
- number is up, one's
- a number of
- any number of
- back number
- by the numbers
- crunch numbers
- days are numbered
- do a job (number) on
- get (have) someone's number
- hot number
- in round numbers
- look out for (number one)
- opposite number
- safety in numbers