- imitating or burlesquing that which is heroic, as in manner, character, or action: mock-heroic dignity.
- of or relating to a form of satire in which trivial subjects, characters, and events are treated in the ceremonious manner and with the elevated language and elaborate devices characteristic of the heroic style.
- an imitation or burlesque of something heroic.
Origin of mock-heroic
First recorded in 1705–15
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (of a literary work, esp a poem) imitating the style of heroic poetry in order to satirize an unheroic subject, as in Pope's The Rape of the Lock
- burlesque imitation of the heroic style or of a single work in this style