or mon·key pot
- the woody, operculate seed vessel of any of certain large South American trees of the genus Lecythis.
- the tree itself.
- a cylindrical or barrel-shaped vessel used for cooling water.
Origin of monkeypot
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- any of various tropical trees of the genus Lecythis: family Lecythidaceae
- the large urn-shaped pod of any of these trees, formerly used to catch monkeys by baiting it with sugar
- a melting pot used in making flint glass
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012