[mon-uh-jen-uh-sis or muh-noj-uh-nee]
- the hypothetical descent of the human race from a single pair of individuals.
- Biology. the hypothetical descent of all living things from a single cell.
Origin of monogenesis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for monogenesis
Historical Examples of monogenesis
Polygenesis in his inventions may probably be regarded as testimony in favour of the monogenesis of Man.The Evolution of Culture
Augustus Henry Lane-Fox Pitt-Rivers
- the hypothetical descent of all organisms from a single cell or organism
- asexual reproduction in animals
- the direct development of an ovum into an organism resembling the adult
- the hypothetical descent of all human beings from a single pair of ancestors
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The theory that all living organisms are descended from a single cell or organism.
- The production of similar organisms in successive generations.
- Asexual reproduction, as by sporulation or parthenogenesis.
- The process of parasitizing a single host, in or on which the entire life cycle of the parasite is passed.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.