- a chromosome having no homologue, especially an unpaired X chromosome.
- a protein-synthetic complex involving the translation of a messenger RNA molecule by a single ribosome.
- a monosomic individual.
Origin of monosome
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an unpaired chromosome, esp an X-chromosome in an otherwise diploid cell
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- A chromosome having no homologue, especially an unpaired X-chromosome.
- A single ribosome, especially one combined with a molecule of mRNA.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.