- a person holding very antiquated notions; reactionary.
- a person living in the backwoods; rustic.
- an old turtle.
- Angling. a large and old fish, as a bass.
- a wild bull or cow.
Origin of mossback
Examples from the Web for mossback
Historical Examples of mossback
There is the "old" farmer, there is the "new" farmer, and there is the "mossback."
Every "new" farmer when full grown competes with every mossback.
The mossback cannot win, because he prefers a flintlock to a Mauser.
You cannot have the new farmer unless you also have the mossback.
Fig. 239 shows a mossback's house or cabin in the lake lands of Canada.Shelters, Shacks and Shanties
- an old turtle, shellfish, etc, that has a growth of algae on its back
- informal a provincial or conservative person