- Usually the movies . the movie industry: The movies use MPAA ratings to inform patrons about content that may not be suitable for certain audiences.
- all movies as a group, or a specific category of movies, considered as a genre: gangster movies.
- the exhibition of movies: an evening at the movies.
- Often the movies . a movie theater: Is there anything good playing at the movies on Main Street?
QUIZ YOURSELF ON PARENTHESES AND BRACKETS APLENTY!
Example sentences from the Web for movie
There was a lot of prison fiction from movies and books to mine.‘Archer’ Creator Adam Reed Spills Season 6 Secrets, From Surreal Plotlines to Life Post-ISIS|Marlow Stern|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
A lot of the culture around movies in the sci-fi/fantasy genre is about deconstructing them ad nauseam.
I just recently rewatched all six Star Wars movies the other day… Oh wow, from the beginning?
Steiger was nominated, and Richard Burton, and a lot of people in bigger movies.
As far as I was concerned he was the best bad guy in the history of the movies.
And so, if you 115 can't send the little fellow to college, won't you take him in the movies with you like you did Jackie Coogan?My Wonderful Visit|Charlie Chaplin
Nagkasakbit sila paglingkud sa sini, They happened to sit beside each other in the movies.A Dictionary of Cebuano Visayan|John U. Wolff
Radio is getting to be an awfully big thing, nearly as big as the movies.Radio Boys Loyalty|Wayne Whipple
Someone asked me several years ago, "Are you going to let your little fellow go to movies?"The Mother and Her Child|William S. Sadler
It might have been a parade-war, an elaborately realistic imitation of the real thing for the movies.The Onslaught from Rigel|Fletcher Pratt
British Dictionary definitions for movie
- an informal word for film (def. 1)
- (as modifier)movie ticket