[muhl-tip-er-uh s]See more synonyms for multiparous on Thesaurus.com
- of or relating to a multipara.
- producing more than one at a birth.
- Botany. (of a cyme) having many lateral axes.
Origin of multiparous
Related formsmul·ti·par·i·ty [muhl-ti-par-i-tee] /ˌmʌl tɪˈpær ɪ ti/, noun
First recorded in 1640–50, multiparous
is from the New Latin
bearing many young at a birth. See multi-
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for multi-parity
Derived Formsmultiparity (ˌmʌltɪˈpærɪtɪ), noun
- (of certain species of mammal) producing many offspring at one birth
- of, relating to, or designating a multipara
C17: from New Latin multiparus
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for multi-parity
"bringing forth many young at a birth," 1640s, from Modern Latin multiparus, from multi- + stem of parere "to bring forth" (see pare).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to a multipara.
- Giving birth to more than one offspring at a time.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.