- any disease that results from the infestation of tissues or cavities of the body by larvae of flies.
Origin of myiasis
1830–40; < Greek myî(a) fly + -asis
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for myasis
The name of Myasis has been given to the presence of these larv in a wound.Animal Parasites and Messmates
P. J. Van Beneden
Myasis—By this term (spelled also myiasis, and myiosis), is meant parasitism by dipterous larv.
The best authenticated cases of myasis of the urinary passage have been due to larv of Fannia.
A case of myasis aurium accompanying the radical mastoid operation.
- infestation of the body by the larvae of flies
- any disease resulting from such infestation
C19: New Latin, from Greek muia a fly
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Infestation of tissue by fly larvae.
- A disease resulting from such infestation.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.