- the sciences, as botany, mineralogy, or zoology, dealing with the study of all objects in nature: used especially in reference to the beginnings of these sciences in former times.
- the study of these sciences.
Origin of natural history
Related Words for natural historyenvironment, world, landscape, view, scenery, generation, universe, outdoors, countryside, macrocosm, forest, country, cosmos, setting, seascape, horticulture, ecology, anatomy, cytology, phytology
Examples from the Web for natural history
Historical Examples of natural history
Our natural-history books deal only with those that are alive now.Extinct Monsters
H. N. Hutchinson
The Jews were indeed great in the natural-history department.Frauds and Follies of the Fathers
Joseph Mazzini Wheeler
His Beagle voyage is a regular magazine of natural-history knowledge.Under the Maples
Collections of Natural-History objects, carefully named and arranged.Book Collecting
John Herbert Slater
Fourth report on additions to the batrachian collection in the Natural-History Museum.Middle American Frogs of the Hyla microcephala Group
William E. Duellman
- the study of animals and plants in the wild state
- the study of all natural phenomena
- the sum of these phenomena in a given place or at a given timethe natural history of Iran
- The study and description of organisms and natural objects, especially their origins, evolution, and interrelationships.
- A collection of facts about the development of a natural process or object.
- The study and description of living things and natural objects, especially their origins, evolution, and relationships to one another. Natural history includes the sciences of zoology, mineralogy, geology, and paleontology.