- and not only so but; not only that but also; indeed: many good, nay, noble qualities.
- Archaic. no (used in dissent, denial, or refusal).
- a denial or refusal.
- a negative vote or voter.
Origin of nay
Examples from the Web for nays
Contemporary Examples of nays
The rest of the nays can be difficult to spot, and they're tiny not only in size, but also population.MAP: How The World Voted On Palestine
November 30, 2012
Historical Examples of nays
The Senate refused to concur in the action of the House by 11 yeas, 15 nays.
The bill was lost by a vote, including pairs, of 12 yeas, 25 nays.
The bill for Municipal Suffrage was then defeated by 14 yeas, 24 nays.
After much discussion the bill was defeated by 137 yeas, 97 nays.
The former reached a vote and was defeated by 24 yeas, 27 nays.
- mainly archaic, or dialect an archaic or dialect (except in voting by voice) word for no 1
- a person who votes in the negative
- a negative vote
- (sentence modifier) archaic an emphatic form of no 1