- necessary or required: needful supplies.
- the needful, Slang. money, especially immediately available cash: They haven't the needful for a car right now.
Origin of needful
Related Words for needfulcapital, cardinal, chief, constitutive, crucial, foremost, fundamental, imperative, indispensable, leading, main, necessary, necessitous, needed, prerequisite, principal, required, requisite, wanted, right-hand
Examples from the Web for needful
Historical Examples of needful
It was needful to implore them since they found the assurance so difficult to believe.The Conquest of Fear
It is needful, therefore, to understand it as accurately as may be, however we may judge it.The Man Shakespeare
Money was needful to extricate him from this drudgery and let him follow up his aspirations.Heroes of the Telegraph
I have lodged the needful in the bank, to purchase a commission for you, my son.Tales And Novels, Volume 9 (of 10)
The seamen in return purvey the needful luxuries for lumber-camps.
- necessary; needed; required
- archaic needy; poverty-stricken
- the needful informal money or fundsdo you have the needful?
- do the needful to perform a necessary task