Words nearby negative feedback
Definition for negative feedback (2 of 2)
- the process of returning part of the output of a circuit, system, or device to the input, either to oppose the input (negative feedback) or to aid the input (positive feedback).
- acoustic feedback.
Origin of feedback
British Dictionary definitions for negative feedback (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for negative feedback (2 of 2)
- the return of part of the output of an electronic circuit, device, or mechanical system to its input, so modifying its characteristics. In negative feedback a rise in output energy reduces the input energy; in positive feedback an increase in output energy reinforces the input energy
- that part of the output signal fed back into the input
- the effect of the product of a biological pathway on the rate of an earlier step in that pathway
- the substance or reaction causing such an effect, such as the release of a hormone in a biochemical pathway
verb, adverb feed back
Medicine definitions for negative feedback (1 of 2)
Medicine definitions for negative feedback (2 of 2)
Science definitions for negative feedback (1 of 2)
Science definitions for negative feedback (2 of 2)
Culture definitions for negative feedback
A process in which a system regulates itself by monitoring its own output. That is, it “feeds back” part of its output to itself. Feedback is used to control machines; a heating system, for example, uses a thermostat to monitor and adjust its output. Feedback is also used by the human brain to control various muscles and joints.