- involving or noting subtraction; minus.
- measured or proceeding in the direction opposite to that which is considered as positive.
- of, relating to, or characterized by negative electricity.
- indicating a point in a circuit that has a lower potential than that of another point, the current flowing from the point of higher potential to the point of lower potential.
- (of blood, affected tissue, etc.) failing to indicate the presence of a specified medical condition or substance.
- (of a diagnostic test) failing to indicate the presence of the medical condition or substance tested for:Test results for skin cancer were negative.
- (of a person) not having a specified medical condition, or not having a specified substance in the body (often used in combination):She tested negative for a staph infection.I'm Rh-negative.
- a minus sign.
- a negative quantity or symbol.
verb (used with object), neg·a·tived, neg·a·tiv·ing.
Words nearby negative
Idioms for negative
Origin of negative
OTHER WORDS FROM negative
Examples from the Web for negative
Myerson herself appears to have bought into that stigma, offering mixed to negative views on the Miss America pageant.Why Was Bess Myerson the First and Last Jewish Miss America?|Emily Shire|January 7, 2015|DAILY BEAST
I think part of being in the public eye is getting recognized, and dealing with positive and negative scrutiny.
In addition to the negative on-field attention, off-the-field problems were just as bad this year.Is Any College Football Coach Worth $60 Million? Jim Harbaugh Is|Jesse Lawrence|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The negative headlines and accusations of sexual assault continue.
He says he has yet to experience any negative feedback from the galaxy of Whovians.Doctor Who: It’s Time For a Black, Asian, or Woman Doctor|Nico Hines|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The resolution directed the Chairman to cast the vote in the negative.A Report of the Debates and Proceedings in the Secret Sessions of the Conference Convention|Lucius Eugene Chittenden
Negotiations were continued between the two councils until an affirmative or a negative conclusion was reached.Ancient Society|Lewis Henry Morgan
The man replied in the negative, and she then inquired for Sir Philip, asking to see him.
So much for the negative evidence that any such genuine document as the alleged Charter of 7th December 1639 had ever existed.
He answered them still in the negative, but his misery kept them ever before his mind.The Origin of Paul's Religion|J. Gresham Machen
British Dictionary definitions for negative
- measured in a direction opposite to that regarded as positive
- having the same magnitude but opposite sense to an equivalent positive quantity
- (of an electric charge) having the same polarity as the charge of an electron
- (of a body, system, ion, etc) having a negative electric charge; having an excess of electrons
- (of a point in an electric circuit) having a lower electrical potential than some other point with an assigned zero potential