- 1st Duke of. Pelham-Holles, Thomas.
- Also called New·cas·tle-up·on-Tyne [noo-kas-uh l-uh-pon-tahyn, -uh-pawn-, -kah-suh l-, nyoo-] /ˈnuˌkæs əl əˌpɒnˈtaɪn, -əˌpɔn-, -ˌkɑ səl-, ˈnyu-/. a seaport in Tyne and Wear, in NE England, on the Tyne River: shipbuilding; major coal center.
- a seaport in E New South Wales, in SE Australia.
- a town in SE Ontario, in S Canada, NE of Toronto, on Lake Ontario.
- carry coals to Newcastle,
- to take something to a place where its kind exists in great quantity.
- to do something wholly unnecessary.
Examples from the Web for newcastle
In this Newcastle Brown Ale ad, gangly British comedian Stephen Merchant posits, ‘What if the Brits won the Revolutionary War?’Will Ferrell Soccer Speech, Cliff Dive Slip ‘N Slides, and More Viral Videos
June 29, 2014
Bars as far as Vancouver and Newcastle, in the U.K., also have sworn to stop serving Stoli.Russian Vodka Boycott Spreads Over Kremlin’s New Anti-Gay Laws
July 30, 2013
I've done a stage show up in Newcastle and the odd day of filming, dramatized documentaries.Meet ‘Inspector Lewis’: Kevin Whately on ‘Morse,’ John Thaw, and the End of the Series
June 14, 2013
Hailed by some critics in Britain, where Graham is a professor at Newcastle University, it deserves more attention stateside.Our Favorite Books of 2012: Tina Brown, Andrew Sullivan, and Others’ Picks
The Daily Beast
December 11, 2012
Sister Eugenie, 22, will lose her official guards when she finishes her degree at Newcastle University this year.The Easing Out of Princess Beatrice Continues
April 3, 2012
Our author describes the figure, as being that of the Countess of Newcastle.The Young Lady's Equestrian Manual
Then I returned to Newcastle and bore away the goods in triumph.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
Why, it's wonderful, but it looks as though I'd been carrying coals to Newcastle.'Smiles'
Eliot H. Robinson
Charles had walked the streets of Newcastle all night, and that had not done him any good.Sketches in Lavender, Blue and Green
Jerome K. Jerome
Our steamer was to sail from the Tyne, and we went up to Newcastle to catch it.A Labrador Doctor
Wilfred Thomason Grenfell
- a port in SE Australia, in E New South Wales near the mouth of the Hunter River: important industrial centre, with extensive steel, metalworking, engineering, shipbuilding, and chemical industries. It suffered Australia's first recorded fatal earthquake, in 1989. Pop: 279 975 (2001)
- Duke of, the title of Thomas Pelham Holles. 1693–1768, English Whig prime minister (1754–56; 1757–62): brother of Henry Pelham
Idioms and Phrases with newcastle
see carry coals to Newcastle.