- a watch or guard kept during the night.
- a person or the persons keeping such a watch.
- Usually night watches. the periods or divisions into which the night was divided in ancient times.
Origin of night watch
before 1000; Middle English; Old English
Night Watch, The
- a painting (1642) by Rembrandt.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a watch or guard kept at night, esp for security
- the period of time the watch is kept
- a person who keeps such a watch; night watchman
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012