- a watch or guard kept during the night.
- a person or the persons keeping such a watch.
- Usually night watches. the periods or divisions into which the night was divided in ancient times.
Origin of night watch
Night Watch, The
- a painting (1642) by Rembrandt.
Examples from the Web for night-watch
Historical Examples of night-watch
So she determined upon the wake, the night-watch of Freya, as the child calls it.Lavengro
Often in a night-watch did my thoughts recur to Julia Sumner.Hurricane Hurry
Rise, Jerry, you shall not keep a night-watch for a fortnight.The King's Own
Captain Frederick Marryat
He desired the night-watch, who were with him, to wait outside.The Bride of the Nile, Complete
Since that night-watch at Pine Tree Ranch, he had been a different man.The Transformation of Job
Frederick Vining Fisher
- a watch or guard kept at night, esp for security
- the period of time the watch is kept
- a person who keeps such a watch; night watchman