- of, in, or pertaining to water.
- living or growing in water: aquatic plant life.
- taking place or practiced on or in water: aquatic sports.
- an aquatic plant or animal.
- aquatics, sports practiced on or in water.
Origin of aquatic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-aquatic
In non-aquatic life such an unprotected organ cannot subserve respiration.
- growing, living, or found in water
- sport performed in or on water
- a marine or freshwater animal or plant
C15: from Latin aquāticus, from aqua water
Word Origin and History for non-aquatic
late 15c., from Middle French and Old French aquatique (13c.), from Latin aquaticus "growing in water; bringing rain," from aqua "water" (see aqua-)
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- Relating to, living in, or growing in water.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.