- spoken, written, acted on, etc., in strict privacy or secrecy; secret: a confidential remark.
- indicating confidence or intimacy; imparting private matters: a confidential tone of voice.
- having another's trust or confidence; entrusted with secrets or private affairs: a confidential secretary.
- (of information, a document, etc.)
- bearing the classification confidential, usually being above restricted and below secret.
- limited to persons authorized to use information, documents, etc., so classified.Compare classification(def 5).
Origin of confidential
Synonyms for confidential
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
- spoken, written, or given in confidence; secret; private
- entrusted with another's confidence or secret affairsa confidential secretary
- suggestive of or denoting intimacya confidential approach
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper