- failure or refusal to conform, as with established customs, attitudes, or ideas.
- lack of conformity or agreement.
- (often initial capital letter) refusal to conform to the Church of England.
- Geology. an unconformity that separates crystalline rocks, either igneous or metamorphic, from sedimentary rocks.
Origin of nonconformity
Related Words for non-conformityindividuality, boldness, daring, ingenuity, freshness, brilliance, cleverness, resourcefulness, imagination, innovation, inventiveness, spirit, dissent, uprising, insurrection, revolution, insurgency, malfunction, abnormality, anomaly
Examples from the Web for non-conformity
Historical Examples of non-conformity
“And that price of non-conformity is too high,” he completed steadily.A Breath of Prairie and other stories
Prosecutions for non-conformity were enforced with the utmost severity.The Cathedral Church of Canterbury [2nd ed.].
The foibles of their youth are still to be traced in faulting and non-conformity.In the Open
Stanton Davis Kirkham
He removed to Boston in May, 1644, being probably one of those who were driven away from Virginia for non-conformity.History of the Colony and Ancient Dominion of Virginia
He was ordered before the Bishop, Dec. 12, 1631, to answer for his non-conformity.The Simple Cobler of Aggawam in America
Theodore de la Guard
- failure or refusal to conform
- absence of agreement or harmony